FBH questions/issues

Post here any comments/issues about FBH

FBH questions/issues

Postby Rob » Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:10 am

At the October meet I looked at a number of Webasto FBH and said I would start a thread about them to help with issues as diesel owners will be looking to repair or replace their units over the coming winter months

Myself and Steve ( Devilish ) have now built up a decent amount of knowledge about the FBH and problems can be varied from fuel pump, air-fan, circulation pump, glowplug, PCB , and I have diagnostics equipment which can help to find faults

Webasto recommend a service every 12 months as the FBHs get coked up inside the burner units which can prevent the correct combustion, and it is no wonder that many fail as they have likely gone years without any service at all.

If you have any questions or issues about your FBH please post on here and I will try to help but my first piece of advice would be to find out as much as you can about any one you intend to buy as to its history, those bought from scrap yards maybe worth a punt if the price is right but it really is a stab in the dark, much better if you can buy off another owner who maybe knows that the FBH is a working one. Then of course some will say they work just because they fire up, but that FBH may still have lots of issues as it should continue to run until it either ramps itself down as the coolant has reached 77, or until you switch it off, so until it completes its full heating cycle you can't be sure you have a working one.

We are always on the look out for spares so if you do replace your own which may be not working please do not throw the old one away but let me know and we will be happy to take it off your hands and pay scrap value if necessary.

If you do have any questions please post on here below
Nano Meets, " You do the work , we supply the expertise "

Robs Pictures at:

Robs Car Gallery
Rob
Site Admin

Re: FBH questions/issues

Postby sewerman » Sat Feb 03, 2018 9:37 pm

Big thanks to Rob and Devilsh for spending a few hours this morning dignosing my FBH , dead board and water pump so I drove away with a refurbished one just need to try it in the cold !

Between them they must have taken over a dozen apart and have a test rig for checking them out so if you have an FBH issue I can recommend getting in touch with them for advise.
sewerman
Nano Crew

Postby Rob » Sun Feb 04, 2018 12:34 pm

sewerman wrote:Big thanks to Rob and Devilsh for spending a few hours this morning dignosing my FBH , dead board and water pump so I drove away with a refurbished one just need to try it in the cold !

Between them they must have taken over a dozen apart and have a test rig for checking them out so if you have an FBH issue I can recommend getting in touch with them for advise.

Many thanks Scott, glad you have a working one at last, next mod must be the remote switch on to use as a parking heater !

Robs Pictures at:

Robs Car Gallery
Rob
Site Admin

Postby sewerman » Sun Feb 04, 2018 1:57 pm

Rob wrote:
sewerman wrote:Big thanks to Rob and Devilsh for spending a few hours this morning dignosing my FBH , dead board and water pump so I drove away with a refurbished one just need to try it in the cold !

Many thanks Scott, glad you have a working one at last, next mod must be the remote switch on to use as a parking heater !
fired up this morning when I went out so good so far

yep decisions decisions probably go for the simple remote may be with the atc option too

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
sewerman
Nano Crew

Postby Bolton Chris » Wed Feb 21, 2018 12:56 pm

Hi Rob iam trying to get all the bits together in th :help: e hope I can fit a fbh at the next nano . I have the heater, exhaust and bracket. What do I need to do the same set up as your self. ( Text it to start . Or remote control?) . thanks Chris
Bolton Chris

Postby sewerman » Wed Feb 21, 2018 5:16 pm

Chris don't forget the dosing pump too

Scott
sewerman
Nano Crew

Postby Bolton Chris » Wed Feb 21, 2018 5:50 pm

Thanks Scot I will try and find one . Chris
Bolton Chris

Postby sewerman » Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:34 pm

Bolton Chris wrote:Hi Rob iam trying to get all the bits together in th :help: e hope I can fit a fbh at the next nano . I have the heater, exhaust and bracket. What do I need to do the same set up as your self. ( Text it to start . Or remote control?) . thanks Chris

Another thought Chris do you know the fbh is working ? Alot are sold as working but are kaput Trebor( rob) and devilish (steve) have tested about 20 supposedly fully working ones and none were :( might be worth getting in touch and posting it to them to check , they have a test rig so can put it through its paces, last thing you want is to fit a duff unit.

Scott
sewerman
Nano Crew

Postby Rob » Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:12 am

Agree with Scott Chris, the majority of the ones we have seen that were sold as working were not so be wary, you may get lucky but a risk to take and disappointment once fitted it it has to come off again, the seller must bear some responsibility if you have parted with your hard earned and it doesnt work properly and just because it fires up initially doesnt mean that it works as lots can still be wrong.

We do have a test bench and happy to give it the once over for you, as for the remote working there are many options from just a simple switch under the bonnet, a remote key fob which will allow you to switch it from inside the house and/or a GSM which will allow you to send a text to switch it on who is very useful if your car is out of fob range , both the remote and the GSM can be wired to the ATC so that the cabin heater comes on after 5 minutes once the FBH has started to warm up the coolant which gets the interior warm and defrosts the windscreen, you will need to buy the appropriate bits and be skilled at wiring/relays etc

Robs Pictures at:

Robs Car Gallery
Rob
Site Admin

Postby Rob » Sat Mar 31, 2018 1:32 pm

Hi Chris, hope you get to see this message as I have no other contact details for you, we have tested the FBH you left at the Nano and it has several faults, I have sent you the full details in a pm.

If anyone reading this happens to have Chris's phone number ( Chriski is his forum name ), please pm me so I can contact him

Robs Pictures at:

Robs Car Gallery
Rob
Site Admin

Next

Return to Webasto Fuel Burning Heater Issues