List your jobs/offers of help

Record your names/ list your jobs/offer help/ post meet pictures and feedback

Re: List your jobs/offers of help

Postby mason » Sat Jul 07, 2018 2:00 pm

kitts wrote:Hello everyone

I am hoping after six months to finally get Bones back next weekend. :) If all goes to plan, I know its a big ask, but is there anyone who would help me put her a new carpet in? It lets her down now as I had to cut it up to find the water leak :( Happy to give a decent contribution to nano funds to help buy parts/tools to help others if we can get this in. :)

Thank you

Dawn

I am happy to help you with this but I am just a novice
I know that Bones has been a long labour of love for you
I also know why and I commend you for your determination

For my part
I have never done carpet exchange before but have removed front seats and console
Will help to do it but would rather have some help from a member who has experience as well if anyone has the time
Just make sure first that both front seats move to expose the torx bolts

All the best
Glen
mason

Postby kitts » Sat Jul 07, 2018 4:26 pm

Yes they move, or they did when she went away. That small fact got me in trouble! Moved the driver's seat, now the dreaded airbag light is on lol! Hoping to clean the connectors while the seats are out. I probably won't be a lot of help, but I am happy to follow instructions or help pull things about! Is Saturday okay? My mate can come with me then and she can help moving seat and so on if needed too. :) If I know a day, I can officially book myself and Shaz into the Nano and also sort breakfast.

Thank you for offering. :) The carpet will make a huge difference to her appearance. The steering wheel was had it too, and a member gave me a full set of light oak and wheel to tidy her, but Andy (Trikey) has graciously fitted me a proper walnut one - another surprise for me. He's such a top bloke!

I am determined to get her into something I am very proud of! And also to actually make it to a Nano with her - its been awhile!

Dawn
kitts

Postby Duncan » Sat Jul 07, 2018 4:45 pm

Once the seats and centre console are out, its a fairly straight forward job to do the carpet. The torx bolts on the seats are the biggest pain. Theres a few bits of trim to take out of the way too but only smallish bits.

How are you going to get your new carpet there? They are big things as the foam is hugely thick in places!
Duncan
Nano Crew

Postby kitts » Sat Jul 07, 2018 4:51 pm

I think I can get it on the back seat with a bit of help. I had it in the boot of my Avensis to get it from the scrapyard! I had to do it all on my own as well once it was out, which I can tell you wasn't easy! Horrendously heavy thing! And it was wet as the donor car's windows were smashed. I did have to cut it slightly where it goes under the console to get it out, but its not where it will show, and it folds a bit better for it.

Should I try and spray the torx bolts with WD40 once I get her back if they're naughty? They might be rusty all the water she had in her!

Oh and Duncan, remember how she wouldn't talk to T4!? The ECU was fried! Brian sorted me a new one.

Thank you

Dawn
kitts

Postby Duncan » Sat Jul 07, 2018 5:02 pm

kitts wrote:
Should I try and spray the torx bolts with WD40 once I get her back if they're naughty? They might be rusty all the water she had in her!

WD40 is for getting rid of water and isn't an especially effective anti-seize. If you can get hold of some release agent (plus-gas or similar) it can help with seized bolts but you have to spray it on the threads not the top. And you can't get at the threads unfortunately. Just need to have a decent bit set and a breaker bar handy!

Glad the ECU is sorted, it does happen with some cars.
Duncan
Nano Crew

Postby sewerman » Sat Jul 07, 2018 5:47 pm

kitts wrote:Hello everyone

I am hoping after six months to finally get Bones back next weekend. :) If all goes to plan, I know its a big ask, but is there anyone who would help me put her a new carpet in? It lets her down now as I had to cut it up to find the water leak :( Happy to give a decent contribution to nano funds to help buy parts/tools to help others if we can get this in. :)

Thank you

Dawn

Hi Dawn

Yes it's quite doable at a nano, weather permitting, did mine a couple of years ago,

It's a 3-4 hr job, seats out center console out , heater panels off, foot rest off, ......etc . .. not difficult just time consuming.

My advice is bring some containers for the nuts and bits..

If your new carpet has been folded try and layit out flat now so the creases drop out, makes it easier to fit.

Also get some sill trim clips https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ROVER-SILL-KICK-PLATE-COVER-TRIM-CLIPS-FASTENERS-75-ZT/190864489736?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649 to put the carpet trim back on

Scott
sewerman
Nano Crew

Postby sewerman » Sat Jul 07, 2018 6:01 pm

Duncan wrote:
kitts wrote:

WD40 is for getting rid of water and isn't an especially effective anti-seize. If you can get hold of some release agent (plus-gas or similar) it can help with seized bolts but you have to spray it on the threads not the top. And you can't get at the threads unfortunately. Just need to have a decent bit set and a breaker bar handy!

Glad the ECU is sorted, it does happen with some cars.

Dawn

I know you've asked a lot of Andy but if he has the car and time ask him to crack the seat nuts and copper grease them for you will make it easy then at the nano

Scott
sewerman
Nano Crew

Postby kevrevmgztt190+ » Sat Jul 07, 2018 10:59 pm

if i could get my lights as well please
kevrevmgztt190+

Postby kitts » Sun Jul 08, 2018 9:48 am

sewerman wrote:
Hi Dawn

Yes it's quite doable at a nano, weather permitting, did mine a couple of years ago,

It's a 3-4 hr job, seats out center console out , heater panels off, foot rest off, ......etc . .. not difficult just time consuming.

My advice is bring some containers for the nuts and bits..

If your new carpet has been folded try and layit out flat now so the creases drop out, makes it easier to fit.

Also get some sill trim clips https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ROVER-SILL-KICK-PLATE-COVER-TRIM-CLIPS-FASTENERS-75-ZT/190864489736?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649 to put the carpet trim back on

Scott

Hi, I think I have some sill trim clips. I'll check. I will lay the carpet out next weekend too. I am not sure I have the correct torx things though? My neighbour can look after my dogs, so I will book in for the Saturday. Thank you for offering to help folks. :)

What is best to spray the seat connectors with, so I can get some and do it while the carpet is out? That at least I should be able to do!

Thanks

Dawn :)
kitts

Postby Duncan » Sun Jul 08, 2018 10:25 am

kitts wrote:
What is best to spray the seat connectors with, so I can get some and do it while the carpet is out? That at least I should be able to do!

Hi. There is a special contact cleaner for gold contacts. I will have some n my tool box. It has a little brush rather than a spray.
Duncan
Nano Crew

PreviousNext

Return to Midlands Nano Meet Weekend Sat 21 & Sun 22 July