Supporting the Four Ashes - ideas please

Please post your thoughts and opinions here

Re: Supporting the Four Ashes - ideas please

Postby Brunty » Tue Dec 25, 2018 2:15 pm

As we all enjoy coming to Nano meets, I feel that we should be prepared to pay for use of facilities. Need to find a venue with a toilet block on site rather than relying on a pub's opening hours and tea / coffee & food available. Even if it was only £5.00 a car, where could you have a great day out for that price? I am pretty sure that a site owner offered £100+ a day for use of facilities plus sale of food / drinks would help us.
Brunty

Postby Duncan » Tue Dec 25, 2018 7:06 pm

I do agree that we need to consider alternative locations, and we have been lucky that we haven't had to pay for anything. But I get the feeling we need to be careful about charging. No matter that it's only to pay for the use of the location it could be seen to put things on some kind of official footing with all of the potential liabilities that could go with an official meet.

Now that doesn't mean we can't do it, just that we need to think carefully whatever we have to do.
Duncan
Nano Crew

Postby Rob » Wed Dec 26, 2018 12:23 pm

A word of caution in the situation we find ourselves in is always wise Duncan and I have started to look into what might be involved if we start charging for attendance of say £2 per car paid over the the venue owner.

With the Four Ashes still empty its hard to see it getting back up and running again and even if someone does take it on they will have years of neglect and lost custom to put right which wont be easy and is probably why so many tenants come in with good intentions but quickly realise there are not enough people through the door to be able to make a go at it so they leave and the cycle starts all over except this time its come to a halt. You would think the brewery would give someone a real chance and maybe vastly reduce the rent to allow trade to be built back up but its still currently available at an ingoing cost of £9,500.00 and rent of £17,600.00 so cant be easy. There used to be a monthly classic car meet there and the large field was full of a variety of real classics, everything from a Bond Bug to an E type , or An Austin Healey to a Ferrari, goodness knows where they all came from but there were hundreds of potential customers for the pub and it was closed down by the police due to very bad event management, personally I would be trying to resurrect those meets again and proving that they can be managed to suit the authorities.

So it maybe time to consider moving anyway from the Ashes and we have 2 potential new venues which we will look at early in the New Year, both would involve a charge per car but remove the obligation to use the pub or other facilities allowing people to do as they please in that respect.

I have had an initial look at what is involved if we charge and it doesnt seem too bad, public liability insurance is not mandatory but might be advisable, more below:

" There is no law that says you must buy insurance for a voluntary or community event – but you might want to make sure you are covered in case something goes wrong and someone makes a claim against you. Having public liability insurance may give you peace of mind, but it’s good planning, not insurance that stops things going wrong.Sometimes another body, perhaps a local council you have contact with or someone that you contract with (such as a landowner if the event is taking place on their land), will require you to have public liability insurance. If this is the case you can ask why they are requiring this because it is not compulsory in law. Sometimes signing a disclaimer will be adequate instead of buying insurance "

https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... ary-events
Nano Meets, " You do the work , we supply the expertise "

Robs Pictures at:

Robs Car Gallery
Rob
Site Admin

Postby derek v » Wed Dec 26, 2018 6:18 pm

This is only a thought right. But if the four ashes are not going to open up in the near future why not contact the owners. See if they would rent the field to the event. Its sitting there empty and any income is better than none. Say £5.00 a car for the weekend and all we need is the water on and the changing room block open. We all have a great time there and maybe get it back to what you guys had years ago where loads of you camp be it tents or caravans and a few good nights round the camp fire. Iv'e put a few ideas forward in the support post of late. It's not hard to get an event going.
derek v

Postby Rob » Thu Dec 27, 2018 8:19 pm

Hi Derek, hope you had a good Xmas matey, if the Ashes is not open again after Xmas there is no harm in us approaching the owners as we will be no worse off than we are now if they say no, but rightly or wrongly I have always assumed that the various tenants at the Ashes have always given us the ok without the brewery knowing anything about us so getting them involved might be a bad thing if they start asking questions and laying down conditions. I could well be wrong as I know they mention car and bike meets in the write up of the Ashes when trying to attract new tenants but there is a world of difference in a group of like minded enthusiasts meeting in a pub over a drink and /or a meal and what we do which is dismantle many bits of the cars and put them back together. We have had cars jacked up on the grass and although we advise caution when owners do this and ask them to use ramps or axle stands we cant be behind everyone who turns up all the time, and it probably wouldn't satisfy any health or safety inspection, and who is then responsible if something goes wrong, us or the brewery ?

I do hope we can get back to how we were as you say with the camping and the occasional chat around the camp fire and we can only hope, as for flyers we can produce some but getting enough to turn up is not usually an issue with approx 40/50 cars at each meet over the weekend period and we are well known on some of the other Rover/MG forums where most owners come from.

Thanks for your input and please keep the ideas and thoughts coming in

Robs Pictures at:

Robs Car Gallery
Rob
Site Admin

Postby derek v » Thu Dec 27, 2018 8:57 pm

Rob for sure the owners know all about the club using the field. How do i know you ask because the area manager knows he has meetings with tenants of there pub chain. That's why i say contact them
derek v

Postby woolleysox » Thu Dec 27, 2018 10:10 pm

Clearly a cause of some concern but steps are being discussed and potential sites considered so always hope for the future.
I Agree all other options should be considered and visited for consideration also dont give up on the ashes yet.

Let’s hope the new year brings success :union:

Rob
woolleysox
Nano Crew

Postby sewerman » Thu Dec 27, 2018 10:43 pm

My thoughts are if there's no sign of a new tenant by the first week of Jan give the area manager a bell and see whats what.

Or bite the bullet for the March meet and go for and altenative while the ashes sorts its self out. This will let us get the detailes out so people can get it booked in.

Scott

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
sewerman
Nano Crew

Postby Rob » Thu Dec 27, 2018 11:33 pm

I will ring the owners for more info early in January and report back current advert for the Ashes on their website is below and mentions that investment is planned

https://www.findmypub.com/properties/view/23401

Robs Pictures at:

Robs Car Gallery
Rob
Site Admin

Postby Rob » Fri Dec 28, 2018 1:40 am

I have tonight e mailed Newriver for some information will post the reply on here when I get it

Robs Pictures at:

Robs Car Gallery
Rob
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Support for the Four Ashes