Supporting the Four Ashes - ideas please

Please post your thoughts and opinions here

Re: Supporting the Four Ashes - ideas please

Postby Roderick87 » Thu Jan 24, 2019 3:27 pm

I had intended to post the following before Christmas when I looked at the Nano sites Forum to see what dates may have been set for 2019. It came as a bit of a shock to read about the current Four Ashes situation. I then lost all internet/phone and took ages to get back online, so some of what follows is a bit out of date but;

Firstly my heartfelt thanks and admiration for all concerned who have made such effort in personal time and no doubt expense in securing a venue for NanoMeets more than once! :clap:
I first visited a NanoMeet in 2014 when I met Scott (also a newbie then) and have tried to visit every year since. Unfortunately I live quite a distance away, as do many others, so attendance is not easy and didn’t make it at all this year.

We all know pubs have tough trading conditions. It really is up to the owners and managers to run it properly and establish a good reputation for food, ambience, welcoming staff and acknowledge that many people will HAVE to drive to get there. That’s their creative problem …
Just a thought, but perhaps whoever takes on the FA should run it as a motor themed pub with great road access and open up it’s facilities to other car clubs? There must be other clubs/societies who would also appreciate such a venue who could use other weekend dates?

Charging a small Nano attendance fee might be good but seems unfair to dual day attendees. It could get complicated, messy and away from the original ideals of a Nano meet? The existing contribution box idea is a sensible one that I can’t imagine anyone not thinking it a good idea?

If the alternative new venue is a goer and negotiations go well I’m sure members would support it if possible. There must be a reason, but why is there no Nano in April? March usually has some terrible weather not conducive with an outdoor event. On a personal note April would be much better for me!

These are just my suggestions and are well intended – I hope. Ultimately I suppose the ideal venue would be a garage or warehouse with a couple of inspection pits, hoist, a kitchen with a kettle and microwave!
All the best, Ray.
Roderick87

Postby Duncan » Thu Jan 24, 2019 6:35 pm

April is Pride of Longbridge and Easter so is generally avoided.
Duncan
Nano Crew

Postby Rob » Thu Jan 24, 2019 7:32 pm

Thanks for your post Ray, and Duncan is right we have generally avoided starting the Nano meets in April each year as it is also the month for the Pride of Longbridge event which many Rover/MG owners attend. March weather has normally been kind to us except for 1 year when we were snowed off !

I do have some good news to report in that I have spoken with the new tenant at the Four Ashes earlier today, his name is Doug and he has successfully run another pub in Cannock for the last 20 years called the Shoal Hill Tavern and will be running both pubs.

I know the Shoal Hill Tavern and the car park is generally full, so a good sign and he has the dates for our 2019 meets and will put them all in the pub diary aswell as making sure the field is prepared for our first meet in March.

Currently the pub is open only for drinks but food will be available from early March and in time for our meet, so we agreed that we will hold our March meet there and then I will pay him a visit afterwards to see if there is anything he is not happy with, and he invited me to tell him the same.

He is happy with the camping from Friday onwards and will open the toilets, overall I got a positive feel from him so lets hope he can get the customers back in the Four Ashes and make it a success.

We didnt talk about money but lets face it the money that goes behind the bar from our attendees is never anything he will be retiring on anytime soon and we need to keep him sweet so maybe we can chat about any payment for attendance at the first meet and see what the consensus is.

No organised breakfast at the first meet but he did say his kitchen staff will be on duty from 10am so maybe anyone who wants food early can just wander in but on that we will have to wait and see. He also has plans to open the outside kiosk during the good weather.

I will shortly be opening the threads for attendance at our 1st meeting of 2019 on 16/17 March, hope to see you all there.
Nano Meets, " You do the work , we supply the expertise "

Robs Pictures at:

Robs Car Gallery
Rob
Site Admin

Postby Roderick87 » Thu Jan 24, 2019 8:22 pm

Thank you Duncan and Rob for the update – Sounds very promising. Re: April, OK I understand that, just wish I was able to get to some of these events!
Cheers, Ray
Roderick87

Postby woolleysox » Thu Jan 24, 2019 8:24 pm

well done guys now looking forward to first meet this year.
woolleysox
Nano Crew

Postby squire » Thu Jan 24, 2019 10:09 pm

Nice result, let's hope it continues as good as it sounds and many thanks to all who have helped get things sorted , Rob, Steve and others that have kept an eye on what was happening at the Ashes. :clap: :hail:

:cheers: Martyn
squire

Postby derek v » Fri Jan 25, 2019 8:05 am

That is fantastic news to read this morning. Well done Rob, top man.
derek v

Postby chris65 » Fri Jan 25, 2019 3:33 pm

Wot Dek said,well done all,see you in March.
chris65

Postby derek v » Sun Jan 27, 2019 9:38 pm

Well its in the right direction at the Four Ashes. Doug is doing pints of Wianwright at £2.50 and Bitter at £2.00 a pint. A nice friendly guy.
derek v

Postby squire » Sun Jan 27, 2019 9:42 pm

derek v wrote:Well its in the right direction at the Four Ashes. Doug is doing pints of Wianwright at £2.50 and Bitter at £2.00 a pint. A nice friendly guy.

That's a start in the right direction, I've always thought it a bit pricey in the past and not a great choice. Let's hope the meals go in the right direction as well :cheers: :clap:
squire

PreviousNext

Return to Support for the Four Ashes