Afternoon

Just registered ? Say Hello here

Afternoon

Postby Seanalf » Mon Apr 10, 2017 2:15 pm

Hi guys, my names Sean and I'm a Roverholic :clap:

I have been pointed towards this site by Steve (Arctic) as the place to be. I currently am on my 4th 75, a very nice Connie in White Gold. She's a PPD Mk1 116bhp with Sandstone interior. The car has FSH and only 105k which is nice and low for a 2001.

I've just done Steve's handbrake mod, but she is needing the ABS sorting, error points to the rear bearing so I'll be looking to come up in May to get this done and a T4 healthcheck. I look forward to travelling up from :wal: and meeting with other like minded souls.
Seanalf

Re: Afternoon

Postby sewerman » Mon Apr 10, 2017 6:29 pm

Hi Sean

Welcome to the nano meets site and the world of ABS problems!

What is your problem and how you've decided it's the rear hub was it done on a t4? Also the problem is usually due to corrosion of the brake backplate scrating the reluctor rING or con tainting it wit ru st. . Have a look at the post nano feed back from March were I've posted a few pics of mine.

Martyn (Squire) and I swapped a few at the last meet and the back plates on 3 cars 2001 era were that corroded, they needed sanding down treating and painting.
, ideally new back plates.

Also often find that do 1 and the the other side starts showing an error on t4 too,

Look forward to seeing you may

Scott
sewerman
Nano Crew

Postby Seanalf » Tue Apr 11, 2017 11:57 am

Hi Scott

Long story short :D

I bought the car a few weeks ago from a lad who's Dad (the owner) had passed away in the January. Whilst he had the car, the ABS light had come on so he decided to investigate as he was wondering what to do with the car. there was a nice long thread on the &% forum about it. The guy is quite switched on and following advice from the forum, he used a voltmeter to get readings to see which one wasn't correct and it was the old favourite of o/s/r that was giving the spurious reading.

He traced it to that wheel only, I've spoken to a couple of people he say it is the same problem and reading threads, the symptoms are common for this type of fault i.e. the car starts with no fault, first gentle braking gives a "grind" on the pedal. ABS light comes on, braking reverts to normal straight away with no further grinding. The back of the car is a bit dirty underneath, there is corrosion on the back box etc, so I would suspect there is some rubbish dropped from the bake plates to the bearing.

Steve has sent me a guide, I may give it a go this weekend or leave it for the meet, not sure. It seems a simple enough job as long as the plate isn't destroyed. A couple of hours under the car the day before a holiday, what could possibly go wrong.... :clap: :oops:
Seanalf

Postby sewerman » Tue Apr 11, 2017 7:22 pm

Sean

Yep a couple of hours should see it done easy.

A few comments and tips from my experience ,

The top 13mm nut on the caliper bracket is hard to get at and if it hasn't been shifted for a bit an open ended spanner or ring spanner tends to slip and start rounding the nut, if its tight I recommend removing the roll pins and taking the caliper off so that you can get a good 6 sided socket on it.

Check the size of the new hub nut it may be 36mm (the original is 32mm) check your socket fits inside the hub I brought a nice heavy duty 36mm only to find it too thick to fit so trip to Halford for a second one.

When you fit the new hub and torque it up check the hub moves had one at the nano which was solid .

The old hub should come off with a good tug but if it doesn't a bearing puller will get it shifted.

When the bearing boes come off it may leave the inner cone on the back you just need to get a trim removal tool or screwdriver behind it to easily it off.

And most important clean and treat the backplate, I used a wire Bruce on a drill and check for metal delamination and sticking up.

I'm no mechanic but it's a reativly straightforward job.

If you don't fancy it stick it on the jobs forum for the next nano and we can get you sorted then

Scott
sewerman
Nano Crew

Postby Duncan » Tue Apr 11, 2017 7:42 pm

What on earth is a wire Bruce?
Duncan
Nano Crew

Postby Seanalf » Tue Apr 11, 2017 8:43 pm

Cheers Scott, some good tips there. I've bought some sockets, they are a kit, so hopefully not too thick!

I'm planning on soaking the nuts with WD40 to help ease them off, but that's my point of no return. If the bolt won't move, I'll stop. I've popped it onto the nano board in anticipation. I'm away in West Wales next wek, so I'll only have the Sunday to do it. I don't have a torque wrench however, may have to ask about. :confused:

I've got the wire Bruce ( :clap: ) ready and a good drill to clean, just need some paint for after. I'm happy to give anything a go, I just won't take any risks. :lol:
Seanalf

Postby sewerman » Tue Apr 11, 2017 9:42 pm

:oops: ok ok so i didn't check my auto correct its should read wire BRUSH :nurse: its my age

Oh forgot to mention a 24" breaker bar is useful to crack the hub nut.

Scott
sewerman
Nano Crew

Postby Seanalf » Wed Apr 12, 2017 10:41 am

I bought a breakers bar for steering wheel changes :)
Seanalf

Return to Introduce Yourself