Oh no not again !

Please post your thoughts and opinions here

Oh no not again !

Postby Rob » Mon Dec 16, 2019 6:38 pm

Popped into the Ashes tonight with the intention of booking a table for a Xmas meal, only to be told they no longer do food, lounge closed and only bar available for drinks, so watch this space and Merry Xmas to all !!!!!!
Nano Meets, " You do the work , we supply the expertise "

Robs Pictures at:

Robs Car Gallery
Rob
Site Admin

Re: Oh no not again !

Postby Rob » Mon Dec 23, 2019 11:50 am

Rumour has it that current pub tenant will be leaving before long so watch this space and I will try and keep you all informed, if anyone else gets to know anything please post on here.

Next years meet dates were given to the pub a few weeks ago so we can only hope that any new tenant coming in will honour them.

Robs Pictures at:

Robs Car Gallery
Rob
Site Admin

Postby squire » Mon Dec 23, 2019 5:17 pm

Lord knows where but I seriously think an alternative venue needs to be sourced asap, this is getting ridiculous at the Ashes now. Iirc there was thoughts about using the Spread Eagle or The Harrows last time this situation cropped up. Before long I can see the Ashes closing for good.

Martyn
squire

Postby Rob » Fri Dec 27, 2019 11:58 am

Hi Martyn, agreed it is getting beyond a joke now and makes you wonder if at some point the building owners will sell it on , problem is we dont have enough detail eg are the brewery leasing from the owners if so how long does it have left ?

It is currently available on the New River website as below:

The alternative venue (s) discussed before were the Bradford Arms which is on the A5 towards Telford and approx 10 minutes drive from the Ashes, they were prepared to let us use the field (which has a slope) at a cost from memory and not sure if toilets are available to any campers outside pub opening hours but it may be worth revisiting depending what happens to the Ashes.

The other possible venue was in Calf Heath and much nearer the Ashes and was owned by the current owners of the Harrows, it was behind gates and run down but near the canal and again we would have to revisit to see how it would work. I dont think it is a place that is open much so it would need to be opened for us meaning staff have to be paid etc.

The current manager at the Ashes has a thriving pub elsewhere in Cannock and he took the Ashes on as an extra string to his bow but if he cant do anything with it given his experience in the pub trade then not looking good for others.

Robs Pictures at:

Robs Car Gallery
Rob
Site Admin

Postby squire » Sat Dec 28, 2019 12:02 pm

Hi Rob,
Yet again it's a difficult situation to deal with. Being pessimistic if Doug leaves the Ashes sooner rather than later I can't see anyone taking it on when they see how many tenants have left and the recent bar/food takings which most likely not make good readings.

Iirc, last time the Bradford Arms was looked at there were concerns about the slope regarding working on cars and safety, along with toilet availability and probable cost for the field and to campers. Regarding Calf Heath, some good few years ago my MG club used to hold monthly evening meetings in clubhouse with a small bar there, I don't know if there was any cost involved and I very much doubt if I could find out as the committee members from that time have moved on. I do remember that it was not as easy to find as the Ashes is, certainly for the first time, although not difficult, if I'm thinking of the right place, it can be approached via Kings Road or Queens Road off Straight Mile. I seem to recall it said that the owners were amenable to the idea when approached last time, but don't know if camping was mentioned at all or costs.

Great start for Midlands Nano this year, lol.

Happy New Year.

:cheers: Martyn
squire

Return to Support for the Four Ashes