Should the March meet go ahead ?

Opinions Please

Re: Should the March meet go ahead ?

Postby ARCTIC » Mon Jul 06, 2020 6:52 pm

Duncan wrote:I think you are right Steve.

This might be a longshot, but is there any possibilty of going back to TeddyBears? ISTR that the issue was with one particular local councillor who decided he didn't like what we were doing. Maybe given the intervening years they are no longer influential?

To be honest, I reckon no matter what we are going to struggle this year. Let's hope I'm wrong!

Hi Duncan.
Hope you are keeping well & safe, i doubt the Teddy Bears would be a starter, as Rob as moved it was himself whom used to sort that venue out, he may pop on and let us know, i did have a journey to the FA on the 4th July but it was a ghost pub the only thing going on was the weeds growing rapid :lol:

Image1

Image2

Image3
Willing to help.

You do the work. We supply the expertise

Nano Ethos
viewtopic.php?f=18&t=13
ARCTIC
Site Admin

Postby Rob » Thu Jul 09, 2020 1:37 pm

The Ashes is still the same today no sign of life, same sign on the door has been there for months and concrete barriers still present
Given that pubs can reopen now I think the lack of any movement at the Ashes at least proves that Damon has left and who in their right mind would take on a failing pub in the current climate with all the restrictions in place

I don't think Teddy bears is an option, although the awkward councillor is no longer on the Parish council as he became too fond of making decisions as chairman of the council without consulting the rest of the council and is now facing possible legal action relating to some of his actions.
When the use of Teddybears all came to a head before, we had it free, but once the full council became aware of our meets they wanted to charge us by the hour (£10) and I lived across the road but am no longer a resident in the area as moved house.

I don’t think anything has changed in that we would still have to pay by the hour at Teddybears and better for us if we we do find a venue and have to pay that we pay by car I would have thought.
Nano Meets, " You do the work , we supply the expertise "

Robs Pictures at:

Robs Car Gallery
Rob
Site Admin

Postby sewerman » Sat Jul 11, 2020 9:58 am

Hi Rob
I agree can't see the ashes opening anytime soon.

I remember previously you looked at the pub by Western Park on the A5 and one past the ashes under the bridge on the right?, As well as the transport café Steve mentioned.

Just wondering if it's worth making some enquires about availability in Sept / Oct as I think the next wave of lifting of restrictions will be in place by then and hopefully people can meet outside in larger numbers .

As for what we can do hands on wise think we will have to see closer to the time, but if we can just meet and chat it would be a start

Sent from my Bush10Nou using Tapatalk
sewerman
Nano Crew

Postby Rob » Mon Aug 10, 2020 1:39 pm

Just been to the Standeford Farm Cafe, up the road from the Ashes, only to find that the unused field behind the car park is not owned by the Cafe owner, so he is in no position to let us use it, in fact he has been trying to buy it for years but the land owner wont sell. I was told to ring back in a couple of days and they will give me the number of the landowner and I will ask the question as he can only say no.

Some of the issues we would have even if he does say yes :

> No doubt we would have to pay for it as the old trick of we will spend money in your cafe would be totally irrelevant.

> There are no toilets other than in the cafe and that has limited opening hours and doubt if the owner would be best pleased if we all used his toilets

> No toilets means no camping which would be a pity as its become a nice feature of our meets.

> The field is badly in need of grass cutting and would have to be done before we could use it

My next stop will be the Bradford Arms which we sounded out before but the Ashes reopened so we stayed there instead.

The pictures below are courtesy of Steve ( Devilish ), the last picture compares the Ashes to the Bradford Arms and as you will see there are lots of similarities.

The Bradford Arms is situated about 4/5 miles from the Ashes and is on the A5 heading towards Telford.

Robs Pictures at:

Robs Car Gallery
Rob
Site Admin

Postby Bernard » Mon Aug 10, 2020 2:02 pm

Bradford Arms looks good to me, if they will have us.
Bernard
Nano Crew

Postby sewerman » Mon Aug 10, 2020 8:14 pm

Keep us posted Rob

May have to do days only meets though

Sent from my SM-G977B using Tapatalk
sewerman
Nano Crew

Meet Venue Updates

Postby Rob » Tue Aug 11, 2020 10:27 pm

Update:

Set out for the Bradford Arms earlier and thought I would just check in at the Ashes first. 2 cars on the car park right in front of the pub, one an older Porsche Cayenne and the other a BMW Z3 with last 3 letters of reg " BAR"
Lights on in the pub but despite knocking several times no one came to the door. I looked inside and things have been moved around, there was a new computer printer still in its box, a mop and bucket by one of the doors, a silicone gun and a few other items. I also peered in the bar which was all lit up and even the bandit machine was switched on, the " To let " sign has also been taken down. So it all looks a bit more promising and hopefully if someone has taken it on the cars will be there more often so I will keep popping back.

I went to the Bradford Arms but owner not there, it is 6.2 miles from the Ashes , I left details about our meets and my phone number and am expecting a call back, the field they have just off the main car park is used for camping, couple of pictures below:

Watch this space for further updates

Robs Pictures at:

Robs Car Gallery
Rob
Site Admin

Postby sewerman » Wed Aug 12, 2020 7:35 pm

Thats good news Rob finger's crossed

Sent from my SM-G977B using Tapatalk
sewerman
Nano Crew

Postby dattrike » Thu Aug 13, 2020 7:26 am

Well done Rob, thanks for the effort you are putting in on everyone's behalf.
dattrike

Postby Rob » Thu Aug 13, 2020 1:31 pm

NEWSFLASH

The Ashes will be opening within the week run by a girl called Michelle, she is ok for our meets to continue, more to follow later

Robs Pictures at:

Robs Car Gallery
Rob
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Meet Venue Updates